Friday, June 19, 2009

Acts of Kindness Retold

Today I wrote about an experience of an "accidental act of kindness" I committed as a teenager. It was never intended as such, but made an impact on someone and I found out about it MORE THAN TWENTY YEARS LATER.

You may want to go read about (the link is below). But when you do, try to make yourself aware that the smallest of things can make a difference. And even if you don't TRY to make a difference in someone's life, just being kind cane make all the difference in the world. And, in my case, it wasn't about being kind as much as it was "don't make a crappy situation worse than it is." I can't take any credit for being kind and that's why this is a perfect example.

I always tell my kids that the goal is to make the world better when you leave it than when you come into it, but if you CAN'T do that, at least leave it as good. Or if you want to be succint, "Do no harm." That's the minimum we can all manage, surely.

Okay, now off with you... go read How to Deal with a Bully.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

That was such a lovely story ... and example of how our actions matter. Thank you for sharing it with us! I'm so glad that all these years later you were able to find out how your simple act of kindness affected another ... such a gift!

Have a wonderful weekend!

Small Footprints
http://reducefootprints.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

all we say think and do has a bounce back- even if it is 20 years later xx

Stephanie said...

That was a great little story. I strongly encourage my little ones to treat others as they would like to be treated. You just proved it does make a difference.
I HATED taking the bus.
Thanks for sharing, and I'm glad you found out how you were that "little fellers" hero. :)